AFY......... Ok now just by those three letters most of you are probably really confused. You are probably saying does she mean EFY? No I don't. AFY stands for Adventure For Youth, it sounds cheesy I know but it is the best thing ever. It is a mix between spiritual and adventure, (so it's really good for ADD.) Every morning we would have scripture devotional with just our group. Then we would have a speaker come and give the whole camp a devotional. Then at night we would have scripture study with just the girls, with the our counselor, Alyssa. Last year I went to AFY with my cousin Aubrae. It was ok I made friends I still kinda talk to them but we aren't tight. This year I went with Emma, we met at AFY last year and clicked. Aubrae was in a different group because she is older than us :D So when I got to our dorms I decided to not even be scared so I was friendly said hi to everyone. The first impression that Kylee and Kaitlin (there are 3 rooms in each dorm with 2 girls in each, Kaitlin and Kylee were roomates) had of me was this: Emma and I were unpacking and I turned around and she was already changed into her AFY shirt. So I said "Holy fastness! Do you practice or something?" Yea it was great :D When all the girls got together to meet each other in my group I felt as if I had known them for my whole life. They are like sisters to me. We were tighter than anyone other group. When we went to meet our boys, we decided to sneak up on them. That didn't really work because they came up behind us, yea we are the brightest. We all got to know each other and were like family with in 20 minutes. As we left for opening ceremonies, we all grabbed escorts. Michael Paris asked me to be his escort, it was really weird because I could have sworn I knew him, so I said "I know you from somewhere" He just looked at me weird and was like ok.... I asked him
where he was from and as it turns out he was from Casper, Wyoming. Now for those of you who don't know, I lived in Casper when I was like 4, my dad taught at the college. Me and him totally hit it off and became friends instantly. That night after an evening of games and cheering I called my Mom. "Hey mom do I know a Michael Paris?" she says "Yea he was your best friend in Casper when we lived there." So I told her he was in my group. She about died. The next day my Dad brought a picture of me and Michael. I showed it to Michael and I think we both didn't believe what just happened. I just met my long lost best friend who I have not seen in 10 years. I guess me and him were meant to be friends. Michael, Jake and I were inseperable. I love them both to death. Jake lives in West Jordan, Utah, where my Grandma lives so I will probably see him a lot :D. My guy counselor Glen asked me if Jake and I had known each other before. But we didn't we just clicked :) The 2nd day was ropes courses. I did the giant swing, and there was a huge tower that most of my group did. I am deathly afraid of heights and don't regret a bit that I didn't climb the tower. My favorite part of this was when Jake got down, Eric dangled him like a foot off the ground. He hurt a lot, but sorry it was hilarious. I Belayed for Michael, he tru
sted me enough:) He is also afraid of heights, so I was proud of him that he conquered his fear. The 3rd day was temple day, We had a lot of really spiritual experiances, including doing baptisms for the dead. We filmed our AFY TV film afterwards, which is a music video to a song that has a spiritual message. Our song was "Designer Skyline" by Owl City everything we did in the video was backwards because we reversed time hahaha it was really fun. Afterwards we had a lot of fun eating ice cream at Hogi Yogi. The 4th day was river rafting. We played ipod idol on the bus. (You get an ipod and listen to a song and sing it into the microphone, but no one can hear the music but you. It was amazing.) River rafting was fun, there were some places you could get out and swim. I didn't want to swim because the water is FREEZING. But Glen convinced me to jump in with him, but he ended up just pushing me in :(. The banquet was later that night, we gave the boys homemade flowers and burger king crowns. The boys proposed on their knees and asked if we would be our princess for the night. We got like 3 huge rings and glowing balls that said princess and glowy wands! They were soooooooo sweet. I love our guys. The dance was that night and we all had a lot of fun. The 5th day was goodbye day and closing ceremonys. Saying good bye to everyone was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I cried A LOT! But like My most Amazing counselor Alyssa said, don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. I love my group and miss them a ton. I will never ever forget this amazing week. Love you all! (And it Came to Pass that Statues were erected)
Thursday, August 20, 2009
The BEST 5 days of my life!
Posted by Jennekah at 1:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I think that was the longest post of the century. But I had a lot on my mind.
What a fun post to read! Thanks!!
OK - the above post was mine oops
Post a Comment